GUIDE TO THIS BOOK AND HOW TO USE IT
Part I: The Wings of the Sun
Section 1: Refa'einu
Chapter 1: Refa'einu -- "Heal Us!" The Medical Establishment; Rebbe Nachman of Breslov; Paradigms of healing; Prevention and health; Sickness and healing; New directions in medicine; Where do we put our faith? Refu'ah Shelemah
Section 2: The Jewish Healing Tradition
Chapter 2: Hezekiah and the Book of Remedies
Chapter 3: Healing in the Bible Avimelech's Dream; Leprosy; King Asa and the doctors; The mysteries of providence
Chapter 4: The Rabbinic Tradition Sanction to Heal?
Chapter 5: Two Outstanding Healers The Rambam; Insights from the Rambam on the Art of Healing; The Baal Shem Tov
Insights from Rambam on the art of healing • Healthcare advice from Rambam
Section 3: Rebbe Nachman
Chapter 6: A new path which is really the old path The collapse of faith ; "I set God before me constantly"; Asceticism and beyond; Taking responsibility; "The tongue of the wise brings healing".
Chapter 7: Rebbe Nachman's Book of Remedies The Aleph-Bet Book; Remedies from the Aleph-Bet Book; The power of words; Heavenly decrees
Chapter 8: Lemberg "I will tell you the beginning of my journey"; Lemberg; Compelled from on high; The Burned Book
Chapter 9: Sound the Shofar Dominion over the Angels; Rebbe Nachman's Teachings on Healing; Who is the true leader?; The healing power of prayer; The power of speech; Pidyon Nefesh: Redemption of the Soul; Beyond nature; Miracles; The main thing is faith!; Uman
Section 4: Simchah for Health and Healing
Chapter 10: What is health? Prevention is better than cure; Healthcare Advice from the Rambam; Body, Mind, Soul; What Rebbe Nachman said about....
Chapter 11: The Great Mitzvah Wholehearted with God; The Mitzvot
Chapter 12: The Soul and the Body
1. Simchah and Healing
2. The body: garment of the soul. The Torah view of the human body; Hitlabshut; The divine and animal souls; Food of the soul; The struggle of the souls and bodily health; The four elements; The four elements in the human body; Harmony among the elements: homoeostasis
3. "The soul is in the blood". The Pulse; The ten pulses in the Kabbalah; The ten pulses and the Hebrew vowel signs; The Ten Pulses as explained by the Ari
4. Health, Sickness and Healing. The ten pulses and the four elements; The Bed of Sickness
Chapter 13: The Ten Kinds of Melody
1. The Beggar who had no hands. The healing power of melody
2. The Number One Destroyer. Atzvut and marah shchorah: depression; Atzvut and the body; Stress and illness; The environment
3. Holding back the stormwind. Rhythm and Melody; How songs are made; Searching for the good points; Ten kinds of song
4. Does simchah really heal? The Simchah Workshop
Section 5: Rebbe Nachman and the Doctors
Chapter 14: Redemption of the Soul
1. Why do people get sick? Missing the mark
2. License to Heal? Redemption of the soul; Captivity and freedom; Mitigating the decree; Kabbalistic intentions of Pidyon Nefesh
Chapter 15: Rabbis vs. Doctors The Ramban on Doctors; Death's emissaries; Medicine in the time of Rebbe Nachman: Danger! Tried and tested remedies; An open question; Medicine today; A matter of faith
Chapter 16: The Breslover Chassidim and Medicine Reb Noson; The later Breslover Chassidim
Chapter 17: Nature and Beyond A two-tiered view of healing; Knowledge and awareness of God: Da'at; God's kindness; Know your level; "What people do at the end I want you to do at the beginning!"; A word to doctors; "It's not the doctor who heals, but the angel who goes with him"
Section 6: Sound the Shofar: Rebbe Nachman's Pathway of Healing
Chapter 18: Takhlis! Prayer; Dominion over the angels; How to study this teaching; Sound the Shofar -- Dominion; Binding oneself to the souls of Israel; Binding oneself to the Tzaddikim; The knowing heart: Yerushalayim; Three destructive cravings; Bringing da'at into the heart; Prophecy; The redemption of prayer ; Healing power from the "Word of God"; The bread and water cure; Three destroyers; Prevention and cure; King Hezekiah and the Book of Remedies; Mashiach; Recognizing false leaders; Judgment and mercy; In brief
Chapter 19: Faith Fundamentals of Faith; The main thing is faith; Sound the Shofar -- Faith; Medicines; Prayer and the merit of the fathers; Cries and groans; The four elements; The waters of counsel; Dark night and the light of day
Section 7: The Wings of the Sun
Chapter 20: The Wings of the Sun A world of amazing wonders; The House of Prayer; The Wings of the Sun; Arousing the dawn
Part II: In Practice
Chapter 21: Keeping Healthy Spiritual healthcare; Hisbodedus; Shulchan Arukh: Jewish Law; Mikveh; Tikkun Chatzot; Physical healthcare; Abuse; Diet; Exercise; Relaxation and breathing; General healthcare; Preventive medicine
Chapter 22: Dealing with Common Problems
1. Minor Upsets.
2. Healing Crises. Godly awareness in exile; "Through the blow itself God sends healing"; When to call a doctor; Spiritual strategies; Simchah; Vidui: Acknowledgement.
3. The Meaning of Symptoms: The mitzvot and the parts of the body; Selected mitzvot associated with major limbs of the body; The all-encompassing mitzvot
4. Getting out of a rut: Atzvut; Tracing the causes; Making a start; Turning self-healing into an ongoing project; Making time: regular hisbodedus; A healing worksheet
Guiding questions for self-awareness and change.
Chapter 23: Facing Serious Illness
Illness is a call to live!
1. Medical treatment: Choosing a doctor; What makes a good doctor?; Your role in the healing process; Spiritual healing strategies 358.
2. Faith. Don't feel bad about feeling bad
3. Pidyon Nefesh: Redemption of the Soul. Other means of pidyon nefesh
4. Fear: Standing outside the feeling; Turning fear into awe
6. Pain. Pain control: psychological techniques; Transcending pain
7. Mind over Body. Benefits of meditation; Visualization; Magic and manipulation; The power of words
8. Prayer. The quest for connection; Channeling healing energy through prayer; The divine conversation
9. Recovery. After the crisis; Healing means living; Making a start; The joy of prayer; The blessing of thanksgiving
Chapter 24: Care of the Sick
1. Laws of Visiting the Sick
2. The Human Connection. Trying to understand; Reaching out to the person; Breaking through the walls of the heart; The good points
3. Children's Illness. Prayer; Education
1. Simchah 2. Healing through prayer 3. Sweeten the bitterness 4. Heal our wounds 5. A good sweat 6. Faith
1. The medicine of Torah must be administered softly; 2. Fever from overeating; 3. Epidemics; 4. Faith in God, not in the means; 5. The hands of the angels; 6. Healing from matzah; 7. Healing a wound; 8. The month of Iyar: a time to heal; 9. Sweetening pain with divine awareness
Sources and Further Reading
TOP OF PAGE